The Confessions of Georgia Nicolson is a popular chick lit series for teenage girls, written by Louise Rennison. It is the diary of a teenage girl, Georgia, as she complains about school, is attracted to good-looking boys and is frustrated with the strangeness of the rest of her family (consisting of her mother, father, younger sister Libby and her crazy cats, Angus and Gordy).
The first novel in the series, Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging, describes her as a fourteen-year old girl without, but seeking, a boyfriend in her English community. As the series progresses, she begins to have more potential boyfriends, ending up with three regular contenders for the job, nicknamed the Sex God, the Italian Stallion and Dave the Laugh. In the latest installment 'Stop in the name of pants!', she has chosen which boy she wishes to date, but still has trouble with her feelings for others. In this confusion, readers hope to find a resolution to this conflict in future novels in the series. The tenth and final book in the series is set to be released 25th June 2009 in hard back cover.]
There is some debate about where the books are set. In the second book, they mention catching a bus to Deansgate, which is an area of Manchester in the North West of England, and which features an all boys and an all girls high school situated across the road from each other (Manchester High School for Girls and Manchester Grammar School). However, other signals point to the books being set in Brighton on Englands South coast, such as the fact they always meet by the clock tower and that they regularly go to Churchill Square, a popular shopping center in Brighton, and this is where Louise Rennison currently lives. Georgia and her friends also go camping in Ramsgate, which is in the South East of England, and, when Georgia is coming back from a holiday in Scotland, she talks about 'nodding off for the whole of the Midlands'.
Georgia's age is generally unspecified. In Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging it is mentioned that she is 13/14. One can pinpoint her to about 16 years old in the latest book. In Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas (the third book in the series) she mentions that she is fifteen.
- In the 5th book, '... and that's when it fell off in my hand.' Georgia mentions that she is sixteen.
- Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging
- It's OK, I'm wearing really big knickers - (On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God in the US)
- Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas
- Dancing in my Nuddy-Pants
- ...and that's when it fell off my hand - (Away Laughing on a Fast Camel in the US)
- ...and then he ate my boy entrancers (May 2005)
- Startled By His Furry Shorts
- Luuurve is a Many Trousered Thing - (Love is a Many Trousered Thing in the US) (July 2007)
- Stop in the Name of Pants! (July 2008)
- Are These My Basoomas I See Before Me? (June 2009)